Wednesday 19 February 2014

Sisters and Friends

Sisters and Friends


My family consists of my parents, two brothers and me.  My upbringing was great and I was able to experience sports as a spectator and also a participant. I was in some ways a Tom girl always wanting to follow my brothers around and be involved in what they did when I was young.  I knew how to relate to guys, but not to girls.  I struggled for years to have healthy relationships with girls.  One of the many blessings God has given me is showing me how to have a healthy relationship with other Christian women.  He started guiding me even the day I was saved.  I was at a girl friend’s home preparing for her wedding and I told Raymond to come get me to take me to church.  That is the day I accepted Christ.  That is also the day that this unhealthy relationship ended.

Through the years, God has given me some really beautiful relationships with Godly Christian women.  He has given me friends and sisters.  Here are a few important women in my life that have helped me live, laugh, love, and grow in Christ. 

The first person is in America in the wonderful state of Florida.  It is Phoebe.  We are both southern women who have education majors, love scrapbooking, and handsome sons that keep us busy.  She has made me laugh, think, and helped me prepare for missionary work.  Her family has a heart of giving to others and serving people.  I am thankful for her friendship and stepping back into her life while in America.

Phoebe & I at Thanksgiving 
The next person is my friend from the Netherlands, Debbie.  She is a quirky friend that is full of energy and has taught me to laugh and enjoy life.  She has reminded me to make sure I breathe through everything and put everything in God’s hands.  She has became a part of our family in Uganda.  We helped each other through our ups and downs of living in a foreign country.  Raymond says that she knows how to bring a peace to me.  She is my sister in Christ and I am forever changed by our friendship.

                                           Debbie - friend from the Netherlands and fellow teacher

The next group of ladies are special to me, because they are my Ugandan sisters.  Esther and Margaret.  Esther was my assistant in my 2nd grade class and Margaret was the assistant in the other 2nd grade class.  Esther and I have the same birth month and a love of worshipping God.  She is a worship leader for her church and has a heart to serve.  She helped me to learn to let go and let others help in getting the job done.  I use to have trouble with trying to make everything perfect in the classroom and controlling everything.  I loved that we were able to lean on one another, share our struggles, fears, accomplishments, joy and life together.  Then Margaret came to the school and we were a fun trio enjoying the fellowship of sisters in Christ.  They taught me the real Uganda.  A little of language, a lot of culture, and introduced me to wonderful Ugandan food.  I am thankful that I was not just a white person, but someone they welcomed at their lunch table and willing to experience life with.
Esther my Ugandan sister

Margaret -  my Ugandan sister
Last, but never least, is my missionary sisters, Meg & Kelly.  They are both fellow missionaries with WGM in Uganda. They understand what it means to live in another country and feel overwhelmed by life.  How bringing your children to a foreign country can be beautiful, but has its challenges.  Most of all they know how following God’s call to ministry is precious.  Sharing Christ to the Ugandan people is amazing. They each have their special ministry in Uganda and we all play a different role in bringing people to Christ.  These are some of the wonderful mission family that I have prayed for and enjoyed ministry with the past year.


 Many of my fellow missionaries were so important to my journey in Uganda.  All of us ladies held each other up in prayer, encouragement and friendship.  I thank God also for Christine, Delight, Lisa, Joyce, Joanna & Lisa.  You inspire me to be a greater women and spirit led missionary.  Many other ladies were also involved in my life in Uganda and I appreciate all the important ways that God used fellow women from around the world to encourage me.

Ray & I with Christine & Jeff
Joyce & George with us on my birthday

Thanksgiving Field picture - All my mission family

September Group Picture

Becca, Lisa, Jean & I looking at Lake Victoria

Delight & I hanging out here in the states

So ladies, thank you for helping me grow deeper in Christ, experience life together, and serve the Lord together.

Your sister and friend,
 Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment